Working With the Mover:
* It is your responsibility to see that all of your goods are loaded,
so remain on the premises until loading is complete. After making a
final tour of the house, check and sign the inventory. Get your copy
from the van operator and keep it.
* Approve and sign the Bill of Lading/Freight Bill. It states the
terms and conditions under which your goods are moved and is also your
receipt for the shipment. Be sure to sign the declared valuation
* Complete and sign the High-Value Inventory form, whether or not
items of extraordinary value are included in the shipment. You also
need to sign and date the "Extraordinary (Unusual) Value Article
Declaration" box on the Bill of Lading, if applicable to your shipment.
* Make sure the van operator has the exact destination address. Be
sure to let the van operator know how you can be reached, including
phone numbers, pending the arrival of your household goods.
* Leave your phone connected throughout moving day. After the van
leaves and you finish last-minute calls, be sure to pack the phone in
one of your suitcases.
Take a last look around:
* Water shut off?
* Furnace shut off?
* Light switches turned off?
* All utilities arranged for disconnection?
* Windows shut and locked?
* Old house keys surrendered?
* Have you left anything?